In my paid job, and also in my volunteer work, I have reasons to spend some time in the waiting room at my base Legal Services Office. Every time I go in, I am amazed at the amount of useful information that is available there. In my office, there is one of those spinny magazine racks typical of a waiting room, but it is full of handouts on a wide variety of topics. I always grab a few because I figure I can always learn more about something!
On my most recent trip, I picked up papers on:
- Military Spouse Residency Relief Act (MSRRA)
- the Fair Credit Reporting Act
- Survivor Benefit Plans
- Support of Dependents - Navy
- Support of Dependents - Marine Corps
- Fair Debt Collection Practices Act
If you aren't familiar with the services of your legal office, you might stop by sometime and see what you can learn. They can not help you with every issue, but they can certainly help with a lot.