I haven't been feeling well this week. At first, I attributed it to a little post-Navy Ball fatigue, then to just being tired, but sometime yesterday I realized that I might be fighting off some sort of sickness. My house is slowly deteriorating into a wreck, but we have continued to eat well due to our well-stocked pantry and some pre-planning.
I always try to keep some sorts of "emergency meals" in my pantry and/or freezer. I wrote about my freezer menu long ago, but this week we have been more of a pantry menu. No one is going to argue that these meals make the most amazing diet, but they are warm, filling and much better than drive-through, carryout, or restaurants.
My current pantry menu consists of the following items:
- Boxed scalloped potatoes, frozen ham steak, and frozen vegetables.
- Chicken pot pie, using prepared pie crust, canned or frozen vegetables, and canned soup.
- Tuna noodle casserole using egg noodles, canned noodles, canned or frozen vegetables and the evil canned soup.
- Kielbasa or sausage served with boxed rice product and, of course, frozen vegetables.
- Quick and tasty pasta carbonara from Owlhaven blog.
I always love to hear other people's emergency menu ideas. Please, please share in the comments...