Spurred by the amazing response to my State Veterans Bonuses article, I have spent the week researching more state programs and found two additional state programs:
Iowa: offers a Vietnam Conflict Veterans Bonus.
- Must have served at least 120 days between July 1, 1973, and May 31, 1975
- Payment of $17.50 per month for service in the Vietnam service area.
- Payment of $12.50 per month for service outside of the Vietnam service area.
- Maximum payment of $500.
Massachusetts: offers a variety of bonus program for veterans of most recent conflicts, including World War II, Korean War, Vietnam War, Persian Gulf War, and the Global War on Terror.
- World War II: $100 payment for one day to six months active service, $200 payment for six months or more stateside service, and $300 payment for foreign service.
- Korean War: $100 payment for one day to six months active service, $200 payment for six months or more stateside service, and $300 payment for foreign service.
- Vietnam War: $200 payment for six months or more active duty service, and $300 payment for service in Vietnam.
- Persian Gulf War: for service of 30 days or more between August 2, 1990 to April 10, 1991; outside the Persian Gulf area, $300 payment, in the Persian Gulf area and awarded the Southwest Asia Service Medal, $500 payment
- Global War On Terror: $1000 for a deployment to Afghanistan or Iraq, $500 for 6 months of active duty service outside of Afghanistan or Iraq (not including National Guard or Reserve training) and additional $500 bonus for subsequent deployments to Afghanistan or Iraq.
I have been unable to locate any bonus information for Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming. If you know of any programs in these states, please share in the comments.
However, every state offers a variety of benefits to their veteran population. I am compiling a list but it is a big job because there is so much out there. Check back for more information soon.
For Alabama, Illinois, New Hampshire, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Dakota and West Virginia, please see the original State Veterans Bonus page.