New VA Rules for Specially Adapted Housing Grants

Veteran in wheelchair looking at laptop with wife

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) as announced that a new change will allow wounded warriors to receive multiple grants for constructing or modifying their homes.

This new rule allows eligible servicemembers to receive up to three special adaptive grants worth up to a total of $81,080 from the VA.

"Veterans seriously disabled during their military service have earned this benefit,"said VA Secretary Dr. James B. Peake in a VA-issued press release. "This change ensures that every eligible veteran and servicemember has the chance to use the maximum amount afforded to them by our grateful nation."

Eligible veterans can now apply for three different types of grants:

  1. The Specially Adapted Housing Grant (SAH),
  2. The Special Housing Adaptation Grant (SHA)
  3. The Temporary Residence Adaptation grant (TRA)

See our Specially Adapted Housing FAQs for more information.

For the SAH Grant: An eligible veteran or servicemember may receive a VA grant of not more than $81,080.00 for fiscal year 2018

For the SHA Grant: An eligible veteran or servicemember may receive a VA grant of not more than 50 percent of the cost of a specially adapted house, up to the aggregate maximum amount allowable by law. The current maximum grant amount allowable for FY2018 is $16,217.00.

The TRA Grant may be available to veterans and servicemembers who are/will be temporarily residing in a home owned by a family member. This assistance may be used to adapt the family member's home to meet the veteran or servicemembers special needs at that time. The current temporary grant for SAH recipients is $35,593, for SHA recipients it is $6,355. 

For more information about these grants or other home loans visit or's Home Loan center.


Show Full Article

Related Topics

VA Loan