Upon a member's death, AAFMAA Financial Advisors will step in to assist your family with the important next actions needed.
In the first 24 hours, your next of kin should:
- Contact the Funeral Home you have selected and make the funeral or memorial service arrangements.
- Call AAFMAA at 1-800-522-5221 and report the death. Someone is always available to take the call.
We also recommend your next of kin do the following:
- Order at least 10 -- 15 death certificates for Social Security, Insurance Benefits, change of ownerships, access to safety deposit boxes, tax returns.
- Clip or print obituary notices as some insurance companies require a dated newspaper announcement in order to process the claims.
AAFMAA Financial Advisors will do the following services for your survivor:
- Notify DFAS of member's death and assist widow/dependent with all necessary forms
- Initiate the AAFMAA Life Insurance Death Claim and discuss various death benefit payment options
- Notify Veteran's Administration of member's death and assist widow with all necessary claim forms, when applicable
- Notify Servicemembers'/Veterans' Group Life Insurance (SGLI/VGLI) and Commercial Life Insurance Companies of the death of our member.
What you can do today to expedite these survivors services:
- Three important things we need from you, the AAFMAA member:
- Provide your spouse or family with AAFMAA contact information.
- Keep important document in a safe place and let your family know.
- Important documents that AAFMAA Financial Advisors need in order to process your claims and entitlements are:
- Birth Certificates for all dependents
- Marriage Certificate
- Divorce Decree
- Beneficiary Social Security numbers, addresses and contact information
- Wills, Living Will
- Power of Attorney, Durable, Medical
- Life Insurance and Annuity Policies
- Trust documents: Title page, pages naming trustees, signature page and any full amendments and trust tax ID number
- Certified Death Certificate
Rest assured that AAFMAA will be ready to assist your family in their time of need.