Servicemembers' Group Life Insurance Traumatic Injury Protection (TSGLI) provides short-term financial assistance to severely injured service members and veterans to assist them in their recovery from traumatic injuries. The following is a summary of Traumatic Injury Protection:
If you are insured under full-time SGLI, you are automatically covered by TSGLI. TSGLI coverage applies to active duty members, reservists, National Guard members, funeral honors duty and one-day muster duty.
To be eligible for payment of TSGLI, you must meet all of the following requirements:
- You must be insured by SGLI when the injury occurs
- Your injury must cause a loss that is covered by the policy
- You must have suffered the traumatic injury while in the service
- You must suffer a scheduled loss within 2 years (730 days) of the traumatic injury
- You must survive for a period of not less than seven full days from the date of the traumatic injury
All SGLI participants are insured for traumatic injury protection of up to $100,000.
TSGLI vs. Disability Compensation
TSGLI is not disability compensation and has no effect on entitlement disability benefits from the VA or DOD.
TSGLI is insurance that provides money for a loss due to a specific traumatic event while disability compensation is intended to provide ongoing financial support to make up for the loss in income-earning potential due to service-connected injuries
For more information, see the VA's TSGLI Page.