Transitional Assistance Management Program

Military transition program participants.

Introducing's new Transition app. Our new app gives you a personalized transition plan, tells you what to expect while transitioning, and even helps you find a job. The app is customizable for all Active Duty, National Guard, Reservists, and spouses. Download it today from Google Play or iTunes.

To create a personalized transition plan for yourself, and for transition guides and checklists, visit the Transition Center.

Health Insurance for Involuntarily Separated Veterans

The Transitional Assistance Management Program (TAMP) offers transitional TRICARE coverage to certain separating active duty members and their eligible family members. During TAMP, sponsors and family members are eligible to use either TRICARE Prime , TRICARE Standard, or TRICARE Extra. TAMP does not require an enrollment fee for TRICARE Standard or Extra, but does require cost share and co-payments. If you wish to enroll in TRICARE Prime must pay an enrollment fee to do so.

TRICARE eligibility under TAMP expires 180 days after separation from active duty service. After this 180-day period, you and your family are no longer eligible to use military treatment facilities or TRICARE. However, you may purchase health care coverage, known as the Continued Health Care Benefit Program. You have 60 days after your initial transitional health care ends to enroll in CHCBP.

Who is eligible for TAMP?

You are eligible for TAMP if you meet the following criteria:

  • Members involuntarily separated from active duty and their eligible family members;
  • National Guard and Reserve members, collectively known as the Reserve Component, separated from active duty after being called up or ordered in support of a contingency operation for an active duty period of more than 30 days and their family members
  • Members separated from active duty after being involuntarily retained in support of a contingency operation and their family members; and
  • Members separated from active duty following a voluntary agreement to stay on active duty for less than one year in support of a contingency mission and their family members.

Note: Transitional health care does not apply to military retirees.

Active duty sponsors and family members enrolled in TRICARE Prime who desire to continue their enrollment upon the sponsor's separation from active duty status are required to reenroll. To reenroll, the sponsor or family member must complete and submit a TRICARE Prime enrollment application. Contact your servicing personnel center prior to separating to see if you are TAMP eligible.

Under TAMP, former active duty sponsors, former activated reservists, and family members of both are not eligible to enroll or reenroll in TRICARE Prime Remote or in TRICARE Prime Remote for Active Duty Family Members because both programs require the sponsor to be on active duty.

As a former active duty servicemember you will have the same co-pays and cost sharing benefits as active duty family members.

You and your family members will be issued over-stamped identification cards that will allow you to use military treatment facilities after your separation. The cards will be marked with the dates you are eligible for transitional health care

Remember, once you have reached the 180-day TICARE TAMP limit (or you are not otherwise eligible for TAMP), you can you may purchase extended transitional health care coverage Continued Health Care Benefit Program for up to 18 months of coverage. You have 60 days after separation to enroll in CHCBP. Your coverage will start the day after your separation.

Learn more about the Continued Health Care Benefit Program.

Show Full Article