Replace Your Missing Medals, Awards, Etc.

The House of Representatives has passed new Stolen Valor Act legislation. The previous law was shot down by the U.S. Supreme Court.

Introducing's new Transition app. Our new app gives you a personalized transition plan, tells you what to expect while transitioning, and even helps you find a job. The app is customizable for all Active Duty, National Guard, Reservists, and spouses. Download it today from Google Play or iTunes.

Before you separate, look over your collection of military awards, medals, ribbons, badges, and other distinguished insignia. 

If awards you have earned are missing: Speak with your unit personnel officer about obtaining replacements. You may also purchase lost ribbons and medals from the military exchange. 

Note: Once you have left the service you may request issuance or replacement of military service medals, decorations, and awards through the specific branch of the military in which you served. Use the Standard Form (SF 180), Request Pertaining to Military Records, for requesting medals and awards. SF 180. 

Be sure to ask your unit personnel office for the service regulation outlining the eligibility requirements, or get the number of the service regulation and pursue it yourself. No one knows better than you when or where you were assigned, what special training you took, or when you received special recognition. Replacement medals and ribbons can be obtained for a small fee from:

National Personnel Records Center 1 Archives Drive  St. Louis, MO 63138

Visit the National Archives Website for more information.

Show Full Article

Related Topics

Military Transition