The Joint Services Transcript

couple doing paperwork

The Joint Services Transcript (JST) provides a description of military schooling and work history in civilian language. It serves as a counseling tool for academic and career counselors in advising service members and veterans. It also can save time and money by awarding academic credits, which means less tuition to pay and less time spent in the classroom.

It also can serve as an aid in preparing resumes and explaining military work experience to civilian employers. 

The JST is accepted by more than 2,300 colleges and universities.

What Is The Joint Services Transcript?

The JST tells civilian schools and employers what skills you gained in the military that may transfer to your current situation. You can use this information when applying to school or for a job. Your JST can also be used to transfer some of your military experience to college credit or civilian job certifications. It also contains records of your military schools as well as results of tests taken through DANTES.

Who Is Eligible For A Joint Services Transcript?

All enlisted, officers and warrant officers, both active and veterans from the Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps and Navy can view and retrieve their JST information from the JST website.   Air Force and Space Force personnel should contact CCAF to receive transcripts.

What Information Does The Joint Services Transcript Contain?

The JST includes:

  • Personal service member data
  • Military course completions—all courses that have been evaluated by the American Council on Education (ACE), with full descriptions and credit recommendations
  • Military occupations—full descriptions, skill levels, and credit recommendations
  • College level test scores—CLEP, DSST, NCPACE, ACT/PEP, and Excelsior
  • Other learning experiences—additional completed courses and occupations that have not been evaluated by ACE for college credit

You do not have to be active duty in order to access the JST website and your transcript. Active duty, Reserve, Veterans or National Guard personnel can use JST. You will need to first register for a JST account. Air Force personnel should contact CCAF to receive transcripts 

How Do I Send The Information In My Joint Services Transcript To A School?

After you log on to the JST website you will click the "Transcript" link at the top of the page and then on the "Transcripts menu" you will click the "Official Transcript Request. On the next page, search for the school and select the institution from the list. Select the correct institution (verify spelling and location are correct) in the resulting search results.  On the next page, acknowledge the consent statement and click "Yes". 

There is no cost for JST transcripts.

For More Information

Visit the Joint Services Transcript website for details.

Keep Up With Your Education Benefits 

Whether you need a guide on how to use your GI Bill, want to take advantage of tuition assistance and scholarships, or get the lowdown on education benefits available for your family, can help. Subscribe to to have education tips and benefits updates delivered directly to your inbox.

Story Continues