Navy SMART replaced by the Joint Service Transcript

College graduates in profile.

The Sailor-Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART) has been replaced by the Joint Service Transcript (JST) which is used by Army, Navy, Marines, and Coast Guard personnel. The JST assists academic institutions in awarding credit for military occupational experience and training.

What is the JST?
The JST provides recommended college credit for military occupational experience and training. The recommendations are made by the American Council on Education (ACE), which publishes a reference entitled Guide to the Evaluation of Learning Experiences in the Armed Services, used by colleges and universities around the country.

By receiving credit for military experience, you may reduce your tuition expenses and complete your degree program more quickly. The JST is available for all active and reserve Sailors and Marines and Sailors who separated or retired on or after January 1, 1975 or Marines who separated or retired on or after January 1, 1990.

How do You Get a JST?
To receive your JST you can register via the JST website and have a transcript generated on-line. The official copy is sent directly to the college or university you designate. Academic institutions will not accept transcripts directly from the service member. There is no limit to the number of JSTs you request and they are free.

What is on the JST?

  1. American Council on Education (ACE) credit recommendations for:
    • Military occupations held - ratings, Military Occupational Specialties (MOSs), certain Navy Enlisted Classifications (NECs), and Limited Duty Officer/Chief Warrant Officer (LDO/CWO) specialties.  
    • Military training courses completed 
    • College-level examinations taken at a military testing site (CLEP, DSSTs, Excelsior Examinations, DLPT)
  2. Other Learning Experiences - military courses taken for which there are no matching ACE credit recommendations and the reason why.
  3. Summary Transcript - a streamlined overview of all the credits ACE recommends in a format that closely resembles many college transcripts
  4. TA/NCPACE funded courses
  5. Academic degrees and certificates earned from institutions accredited by a regional or national accrediting agency recognized by the Department of Education.
  6. Non-academic certifications and licensures
  7. Degrees from Foreign Colleges/Institutions (if the transcript is from a College/Institution which is accredited by a Regional or National Accrediting Agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education)

Keep Up With Your Education Benefits

Whether you need a guide on how to use your GI Bill, want to take advantage of tuition assistance and scholarships, or get the lowdown on education benefits available for your family, can help. Sign up for a free membership to have education tips and benefits updates delivered directly to your inbox.

Story Continues