DANTES and several of the national testing programs such as the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and Prometric have received numerous complaints regarding test preparation companies selling highly questionable products and services. Before you invest hundreds or thousands of dollars for these preparation programs, beware of:
- Attempts to sell you prep services for many tests at once, with payment up front or on credit.
- Credit arrangements with a company other than the one selling you the prep service.
- Direct sales contact at your home.
- Promises that you can get college credit without enrolling in college.
- Book lists that include dictionaries or encyclopedias.
Before you buy any test prep service, contact your Education Service Officer or Navy College Education Specialist. Numerous free and low-cost test preparation alternatives are available either at the education center, installation library or through local used college textbook stores.