GI Bill For Professional Licenses and Certifications


Reimbursement for licensing and certification tests that have been specifically approved for the GI Bill is provided by the VA. VA can pay only for the cost of the tests, not any other fees connected with obtaining a license or certification. The following is a summary of the GI Bill License and Certification Program.

Overview of Licensing & Certification Reimbursement

In today's business and federal workforce, having a license or certification can open doors for you. A license is required for most professions, and for jobs that are subject to state or other government regulations. Certification is voluntary, but frequently sought after. That's because getting a certification can help you get, keep, or advance in a job.

In jobs from mechanics and installers to medical technicians to therapists to computer network engineers to web site developers, it's clear that certifications play a key role.

You can receive reimbursement of up to $2,000 per test but not more than the actual cost of the test. You can receive benefits to retake a test if you fail. The number of tests you can take is unlimited, except that you can't receive benefits to retake a test you passed.

Note: Your total months of entitlement to VA education benefits will be reduced each time you use your benefits for licensing and certification.

For the Post-9/11 GI Bill the amount your entitlement is charged is based on an annual maximum amount and is rounded up. For example, in the 2017/2018 academic year the annual maximum amount is $1,902.61 - so if your test costs $1,903.00 your are charged 2 months of entitlement. This amount changes to $1,974.91 effective Aug. 1).

For all other GI Bill programs the VA divides the cost of the test by your monthly benefit rate for full-time training. For example, if your test costs $684, and $1368 is your full-time student payment rate, you'd use one half-month of entitlement.

Among the many types of licensing or certification programs you can use your  GI Bill Benefits for are:

  • Project Management Certification
  • Pharmacy Technician Certification
  • Real Estate Licensing
  • Network Certification


You may receive this benefit if you're eligible for:

How To File an Application

If you have never filed an application for education benefits, you need to apply online via the VA's VETS.GOVBwebsite.

After you apply for GI Bill benefits, or if you have already been determined eligible by the VA you should complete and submit the VA Form 22-0803 (Application for Reimbursement of Licensing and Certification Test).

You can find the approved tests on the VA's GI Bill website

Show Full Article

Related Topics

Veteran Benefits