GI Bill License and Certification Program

Female and male EMTs in ambulance
Female and male EMTs in ambulance

The GI Bill can reimburse you for licensing and certification tests that have been specifically approved for the GI Bill. VA can pay only for the cost of the tests, not any other fees connected with obtaining a license or certification.

The following is a summary of the GI Bill License and Certification Reimbursement Program.

Overview of the GI Bill Certification Program

In today's business and federal workforce, having a license or certification can open doors for you. A license is required for most professions, and for jobs that are subject to state or other government regulations. Certification is voluntary, but frequently sought after. That's because getting a certification can help you get, keep, or advance in a job.

In jobs like mechanics, realtors, medical technicians, project managers, computer network engineers, and many more it's clear that certifications play a key role.

You can receive reimbursement of up to $2,000 per test but not more than the actual cost of the test. You can receive benefits to retake a test if you fail. The number of tests you can take is unlimited, except that you can't receive benefits to retake a test you passed.

Note: Your total months of entitlement to VA education benefits will be reduced each time you use your benefits for licensing and certification. For the Post-9/11 GI Bill the amount your entitlement is charged is based on an annual maximum amount and is rounded up. For example, in the 2018/2019 academic year the annual maximum amount is $1,902.61 - so if your test costs $1,903.00 your are charged 2 months of entitlement. For all other GI Bill programs the VA divides the cost of the test by your monthly benefit rate for full-time training. For example, if your test costs $500, and $1,000 is your full-time student payment rate, you'd use one half-month of entitlement. This amount changes to $1,974.91 Aug. 1).

You may receive this benefit if you're eligible for:

Filing an Application

If you have never filed an application for education benefits, you need to apply online via the VA's VETS.GOV website.

After you apply for GI Bill benefits, or if you have already been determined eligible by the VA you should complete and submit the VA Form 22-0803 (Application for Reimbursement of Licensing and Certification Test).

You can find the approved tests at, on the Licensing and Certification page. If the test you're taking isn't on the approved list, the testing  company can ask their State Approving Agency to see if it can be approved.

Show Full Article

Related Topics

GI Bill