The Confusion Factor

Red question mark

Have you been thinking about getting your degree, but just haven't gotten around to it yet? Why not? In most cases, procrastination is caused by one of 5 FACTORS. These barriers are:

  1. Confusion
  2. Money
  3. Time
  4. Fear
  5. Motivation

These 5 factors can block you from achieving your potential. We will focus on each of these factors over the next five articles and help you remove the barriers that are holding you back.

Don't let confusion slow you down!

Do you know the difference between an A.A. and A.S., a Semester Hour and a Quarter Hour, upper level and lower level courses?

If you don't, you're not alone. Most people have no clue what these terms mean until they start working on their degree. Tragically, the confusion caused by academic lingo may actually create a barrier to getting started on your educational goals. If you are feeling the confusion factor, then let's get started clearing this up so you can get started!

The following is a list of Terms, definitions and examples to help remove the language barrier. We like to call it College 101:

Associates Degrees:

(2 yr. Degree)
Associate of Arts (A.A.) Usually 60 (SH) units (L.L.), which usually requires a foreign Language.
Associate of Science (A.S.) Usually 60 (SH) units (L.L.), which generally requires less Arts and more Sciences, and has no foreign Language requirement.
Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S.) Usually 60 (SH) units (L.L.), which are mostly professional in nature, like Electronics Technician, Machinery Technician, etc.
Bachelor's Degrees:

(4 yr. Degree)
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) Usually 120 (SH) units (L.L. and U.L.), predominately Arts and Sciences with a foreign language requirement, such as degrees in Mathematics, Literature, Theology, etc.
Bachelor of Science (B.S.) Usually 120 (SH) units (L.L. and U.L.) Less Arts and Sciences with no foreign language requirement, such as degrees in Business, Aeronautics, Communications, etc.
Master's Degrees: Master of Arts (M.A.) Graduate Level Studies in Arts and Sciences such as History, Biology, Mathematics, etc. Thesis Project required in most cases.
Master of Science (M.S.) Graduate Level Studies in professional areas such as Accounting, Marketing, etc. Thesis required in most cases.
Master of Business Administration (MBA) Graduate Level studies in Business related areas such as Human Resource Management, Organization Development, E-Commerce, etc.
Lower Level (L.L.) Associates Level Courses Courses that range from basic to intermediate level, such as English 101, Introductory Algebra 1a, etc.
Upper Level (U.L.) Bachelors Level Courses Courses that range from intermediate to advanced levels, such as Abnormal Psychology 401, Calculus, Organization Behavior.
Credit Hours Semester Hours (SH) Most schools run under the Semester System. This is how the school grants credit for course completion. A normal course is usually worth 3 credit hours.
Quarter Hours (QH) Some schools run under the Quarter System. This has no effect on the quality of the courses, or the cost. It is simply a different means of measuring credits. To figure your credits if you plan to transfer from a Quarter system to a Semester system school, you generally divide your Quarter credits by 1.5.
Fees Tuition and Lab The cost associated directly with the course being taken.
Administrative, Transcript, Evaluation, Etc These Fees are general to college enrollment. They are not usually covered by Military Tuition Assistance Programs.

Evaluation When you begin the enrollment process, most schools will conduct an evaluation of your existing college credits to determine how many of your courses or Military experience credits will transfer to your new school.
Financial Aid Financial Aid is any form of grant or loan that is paid directly to the college. This includes Stafford Loans, Perkins Loans, Pell Grants, and Military Tuition Assistance. However MGIB is not considered Financial Aid (because it is paid to you not the school).
Registrar's Office The College Administration office that normally handles your VA/MGIB paperwork.
Distance Learning Distance Learning is any form of education that does not require classroom attendance, Online, Video Tapes, Correspondence, Etc.
Degree Program The list of courses or modules that are required to earn specific degree.
Residency requirement The number of credits a student must earn directly from the school (not by transfer), to earn a degree from that school.Example: Northern Eel River Community College may require you to take a minimum of 30 credits from them to earn a diploma.

There are many other education terms out there, but the basic terminology covered here will be enough to get you started on the road to success.

Story Continues