Vocational/Technical or Trade Schools provide you with specific job skills and job training that is on the cutting edge of technology. These schools allow you to jump right in to the specific career field of your choice, giving you control over what you learn and when you learn it. The attractive features of vocational and technical schools are:
- Learning is hands on. You immediately use what you learn
- Get training and enter into the workforce...fast
- Instructors have personal experience in the subjects they teach
What Kind of Training Can You Get at a Vocational or Technical School?
Exactly what types of training are offered by vocational and technical schools? A few examples include:
- HVAC repair
- truck driving
- emergency medical training
- barber/beautician school
- computer network administrator
- auto repair
Yes, there are some trade schools that prey on veterans, but a bit of research will help you to avoid them. Items to watch out for when choosing a vocational/technical school:
- Is the school accredited? ACCST or the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges of Technology is recognized as the leader in accrediting these schools
- Is the school approved to accept veteran's benefits? Hot technology courses such as MCSE Certification, A+ Certification may not accept veteran's benefits. Please inquire with the school you want to attend
You can check out VA's Choosing A School page for help locating a school near you.
Keep Up With Your Education Benefits
Whether you need a guide on how to use your GI Bill, want to take advantage of tuition assistance and scholarships, or get the lowdown on education benefits available for your family, Military.com can help. Subscribe to Military.com to have education tips and benefits updates delivered directly to your inbox.