A shooting at a North Carolina military base that sent a Marine to the hospital last week has not resulted in charges for either of the personnel involved.
Preliminary findings into the investigation of the April 15 barracks shooting at Camp Lejeune indicate it was accidental, Jeff Houston, a spokesman for the Naval Criminal Investigative Service, said Monday night. The agency's Carolina's field office's major crime response team responded to the shooting.
"We can confirm the victim and the shooter are both males and Marines," Houston said. "... No charges have been filed at this time."
Houston declined to provide additional details on the incident, citing the ongoing investigation.
A member of 3rd Battalion, 6th Marines fired the weapon in the barracks, 1st Lt. Dan Linfante, a spokesman for 2nd Marine Division, said last week. Another member of 3/6 was then transported to Naval Medical Center Camp Lejeune, he added, where he was placed in stable condition.
The Marine who was injured was released from the hospital on Sunday, Linfante said.
Officials have declined to answer questions about the type of weapon that was fired. Linfante said last week if the investigation reveals misconduct, "we will hold those responsible fully accountable, as such conduct would be inconsistent with the high ideals of the 2nd Marine Division and the broader Marine Corps."
The shooting was at least the third in a Marine Corps barracks in less than three years. The other two incidents -- both of which happened in 2019 -- resulted in fatalities.
Cpl. Tyler Wallingford was shot and killed at Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort, South Carolina, by his roommate, Cpl. Spencer Daily, who was later sentenced to more than five years in the brig. Lance Cpl. Riley Kuznia was shot and killed about four months earlier at Marine Barracks Washington in D.C. by Lance Cpl. Andrew Johnson, who was also sentenced to five years in prison.