No Injuries after Brief Lockdown at Naval Air Station Corpus Christi

FacebookTwitterPinterestEmailShare
Naval Air Station Corpus Christi, Texas. Jason Kucera/Navy
Naval Air Station Corpus Christi, Texas. Jason Kucera/Navy

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — A naval air station in Texas was locked down Wednesday after an armed person who was later taken into custody was reported on base, officials said.

No shots were fired and no one was injured, Naval Air Station-Corpus Christi said.

The naval air station was locked down Wednesday morning and those on base were told to shelter in place, but that order was lifted later in the morning. Spokeswoman Francoise “Fifi” Kieschnick told the Corpus Christi Caller Times that an armed suspect was reported to be near building 8 on the base.

The base said a suspect was taken into custody. Base gates were reopened, but people were asked to stay away from building 8.

The lockdown came after shootings last week at a naval air station in Florida and at Pearl Harbor in Hawaii. Corpus Christi Naval Air Station officials said there's no indication the events are linked.

Last month, a 47-year-old man pleaded guilty to destruction of U.S. government property and possession of a stolen firearm for ramming his truck into a barricade at the Corpus Christi station. That incident, in October, also prompted a lockdown.

This article was from The Associated Press and was legally licensed through the NewsCred publisher network. Please direct all licensing questions to legal@newscred.com.

Show Full Article