It's Official: US Has Made Decision on Syria Pullout

In this picture taken on Thursday, March 29, 2018, a fighter, second from right, of U.S-backed Syrian Manbij Military Council stands next to U.S. humvee at a U.S. troop's outpost on a road leading to the front line between Syrian Manbij Military Council fighters and Turkish-backed fighters, at Halawanji village, north of Manbij town, Syria. (AP Photo/Hussein Malla)
In this picture taken on Thursday, March 29, 2018, a fighter, second from right, of U.S-backed Syrian Manbij Military Council stands next to U.S. humvee at a U.S. troop's outpost on a road leading to the front line between Syrian Manbij Military Council fighters and Turkish-backed fighters, at Halawanji village, north of Manbij town, Syria. (AP Photo/Hussein Malla)

President Donald Trump has made a decision on whether to withdraw U.S. troops from Syria that will be disclosed in the coming days, the head of the U.S. intelligence community said Wednesday.

Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats said the decision was reached in "all hands on deck" discussions at the White House on Tuesday.

He declined to say what the decision was, but said "a statement will be issued relatively soon."

Last week, Trump said that the estimated 2,000 U.S. troops now in Syria could be withdrawn "very soon" and he reiterated that position in a joint news conference Monday at the White House with leaders of the Baltic States.

At a U.S. Institute of Peace forum on Monday, Army Gen. Joseph Votel, commander of U.S. Central Command, made the case for a continued U.S. military presence in Syria to complete the defeat of ISIS and aid in stabilizing the region.

-- Richard Sisk can be reached at richard.sisk@military.com.

Show Full Article