Trump Backs 2.4 Percent Pay Raise for Military in 2018

President Trump signs the National Defense Authorization Act for fiscal year 2018, in the Roosevelt Room at the White House on Dec. 12. (White House photo/Stephanie Chasez)
President Trump signs the National Defense Authorization Act for fiscal year 2018, in the Roosevelt Room at the White House on Dec. 12. (White House photo/Stephanie Chasez)

President Donald Trump has issued executive orders for a 2.4 percent pay raise in 2018, effective Jan. 1 for the military, and a 1.9 percent pay raise for federal workers.

The 2.4 percent would be the largest increase for uniformed service members since the 3.4 percent approved by President Barack Obama in 2010. For 2017, the Obama administration by executive order approved a 2.1 percent increase.

In a Dec. 22 notice to Congress on "adjustments to certain rates of pay," Trump announced his intention to go along with the 2.4 percent military pay raise for 2018 included in the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) he signed on Dec. 12.

The White House Office of Management and Budget initially had proposed a 2.1 percent pay raise for the military.

The policy proposals in the NDAA have yet to be funded by the various appropriations Committees in Congress.

To avoid a government shutdown, the House and Senate last week passed another Continuing Resolution to keep spending at 2017 levels until Jan. 22, when they will try again to reach an overall budget agreement for 2018.

In his executive order, Trump said that the rates of monthly basic pay for the military in 2018 would be increased by 2.4 percent as called for by the NDAA. He said the pay increase would become effective Jan. 1.

Government employee unions had argued for pay parity between the military and federal workers, but Trump ordered an average raise of 1.4 percent, with an additional average of 0.5 percent adjusted in locality pay, for a total of a 1.9 percent pay increase for federal civilian employee, also effective Jan. 1.

-- Richard Sisk can be reached at Richard.Sisk@Military.com.

Show Full Article