Where Can a Veteran Request Medals?


Dear Sgt. Shaft,

A Marine buddy of mine recently asked me how he could receive some of the medals that he qualified for in Vietnam. Can you help? Also how do I request military awards and decorations?

Shufly Annapolis D

Dear Shufly,

This web page should provide a comprehensive answer to all of your questions: http://www.archives.gov/veterans/replace-medals.html

Shaft Notes

• The Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance (SGLI) program will adjust its monthly premium rate from 6.5 cents per $1,000 back to the 2006 rate of seven cents per $1,000 of insurance, a modest increase to ensure the SGLI program remains in a strong financial position.

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) continues to place the interests of Servicemembers first and foremost by keeping SGLI premiums as low as possible while also maintaining the necessary reserve levels to ensure funds are available to pay claims to Servicemembers’ beneficiaries

Send letters to Sgt. Shaft, c/o John Fales, P.O. Box 65900, Washington, D.C. 20035-5900; fax 301/622-3330, call 202/257-5446 or email sgtshaft@bavf.org.

Show Full Article