A Power of Attorney Can Be Useful For Military Members

JAG Lawyer

Deploying and need to sign some important papers? Getting legal help dealing with the VA? You may need to get a power of attorney.

Powers of attorney are commonly used in all sorts of business activities, and are very frequently used by military members who are deployed or otherwise unable to enter into legal agreements.

A power or attorney lets another person sign documents, or act on your behalf for legal agreements.

Military lawyers can offer help in preparing a power of attorney. Military legal assistance offices are located on almost every base, ship and installation. If you need legal assistance you can call or drop in to your local legal assistance office. Visit the Legal Assistance Office Locator to find the office nearest your location.

A power of attorney consists of two parties, the "principal" and the "agent." The principal is the person who designates that another person -- the agent -- is authorized to act on their behalf for whatever business the power of attorney permits.

Types of Powers of Attorney

There are two main types of powers of attorney: 

A general power of attorney -- which lets your agent conduct any sort of business on your behalf, like buying a car or signing a lease in your name. This type of power of attorney should be used very carefully.

A specific power of attorney -- which lets your agent conduct only specific transactions. With a specific power of attorney your agent can do things like communicate with the VA about your disability claim. The agent cannot, however, do anything else on your behalf like buying a car in your name, unless you authorize it.

Know All Your Legal Rights and Benefits

Be aware and get what you are entitled to. Keep up with all the legal benefits available to you as a service member, veteran or spouse and get updates delivered straight to your inbox by subscribing to Military.com.

Story Continues
Legal Assistance Benefits