Free Military Legal Assistance

Paperwork with words Legal Aid on it

If you need to write your will, are considering signing a lease, or need a power of attorney or notarized signature then you need legal assistance, and best of all military service members and their families have access to legal assistance, absolutely free!

Veterans are not eligible for these services. Generally, legal assistance is provided to the following groups:

  • All active duty military (including members of a reserve component), 
  • Reservists released from active duty, after serving 30 days or more, 
  • Retirees 
  • Dependents
  • Federal civilian employees and their dependents are also entitled to legal assistance in certain circumstances.

Legal assistance is provided based upon available resources and personnel.

Military Lawyers are part of the Judge Advocate General Corps (JAG). JAGs can offer help in legal and non-legal matters like contract law, immigration law, divorce, wills, notary services, etc. 

Legal assistance staff are located on almost every base, ship and installation. If you have trouble locating legal assistance, you can find the office nearest your location by visiting one of the following websites:

Each military service has specific regulations regarding the extent of legal assistance they provide. For further information, contact your legal assistance office.

If a JAG office can't help, they will refer you to a specialized attorney as needed, normally through a local lawyer referral service.

JAG officers hold all conversations and dealings with clients in strict confidence, as required by rules of professional responsibility.

Know All Your Legal Rights and Benefits

Be aware and get what you are entitled to. Keep up with all the legal benefits available to you as a service member, veteran or spouse and get updates delivered straight to your inbox by subscribing to

Story Continues
Legal Assistance Benefits