Filing a Supplemental Appeal

Man signing paperwork

If you disagree with the VA's decision on your benefits claim you can appeal their decision by filing a supplemental claim. This gives the VA possibly more evidence they may not have seen when making their original decision.

When you file a Supplemental Claim, you’re adding new evidence that’s relevant to your case or identifying new evidence for review. A reviewer will determine whether the new evidence changes the decision.

Your supplemental claim must add evidence that is new (or not provided to VA previously) and relevant to your case. You can file a Supplemental Claim anytime, but normally you should file within one year of VA's original decision.

New and Relevant Evidence

New evidence is information that VA didn’t have before the last decision. Relevant evidence is information that could prove or disprove something in your claim.

You can submit evidence yourself or ask VA to get evidence, like medical records from a VA medical center, other federal facility, or your private health care provider. VA can’t accept your Supplemental Claim without new or relevant evidence.

How to File a Supplemental Claim

You should complete a VA Form 20-0995 to file a supplemental claim. The form should list the issues you want VA to review and include the date of the VA decision you disagree with.

If you cannot locate additional evidence you can request VA to get the evidence for you. VA can get information from the DOD, VA medical providers or civilian medical providers. If you are asking VA to get information from a civilian medical provider you must include a VA Form 21-4142 to authorize VA to get your personal medical information.

You can either submit the completed form by mail or in person. 

What Happens Next?

You don’t need to do anything while you’re waiting unless VA sends you a letter asking for more information. If VA schedules exams for you, be sure not to miss them. You can check the status of your appeal on eBenefits.

If You Need Help

A Veterans Service Organization or VA-accredited attorney or agent can help you request a decision review. 
Get help requesting a decision review

If You Don't Agree With the VA's Supplemental Appeal Decision?

If you disagree with the VA's supplemental appeal decision, you can request either a Higher-Level Review of the Supplemental Claim decision, or file for a Board Appeal, which means your case gets reviewed by a Veterans Law Judge. You may also file another Supplemental Claim if you have additional evidence you want to submit for review.

Know All Your Legal Rights and Benefits

Be aware and get what you are entitled to. Keep up with all the legal benefits available to you as a service member, veteran or spouse and get updates delivered straight to your inbox by subscribing to

Story Continues