Appealing A VA Decision To The Appeals Court


If you disagree with the Board's final ruling, you can appeal to the U.S. Court of Veterans Appeals for Veterans Claims. Normally, you must file a Notice of Appeal with the Court within 120 days from the date the Board's decision is mailed to you.

You must have a final decision from the Board of Veterans' Appeals before appealing to this Court. (The VA Regional Office is not the Board of Veterans' Appeals.)

You can hire an attorney to represent you, or you can represent yourself. 

You must file a written Notice of Appeal (NOA) that includes all of the following information:

  1. Current name
  2. Current address
  3. Current telephone number
  4. Current e-mail address
  5. VA claim file number
  6. Date of Board decision being appealed

You must pay a $50 nonrefundable filing fee or prove financial hardship to avoid paying the fee.

You can submit your appeal package either by physical mail or email.

For more details, see the U.S. Court of Appeals website

Know All Your Legal Rights and Benefits

Be aware and get what you are entitled to. Keep up with all the legal benefits available to you as a service member, veteran or spouse and get updates delivered straight to your inbox by subscribing to

Story Continues