Throughout the month, military families are honored and recognized for their commitment and contributions in support of our military and nation.
The original arsenal combined two adjoining arsenals into one post in 1941 to make conventional ammunition and toxic chemicals during World War II. First designated the home of Army missiles in 1948, Redstone dropped from a peak WW II employment of more than 19,000 to a little-used post of a few hundred workers.
Because of the large available space, empty buildings, and ease of access to rail, highway, and water traffic, the Army chose Redstone as the place to consolidate its newly formed rocket program. Redstone Arsenal has served for more than 50 years as the Army's center for missile and rocket programs.