Naval Station Rota Base Guide

Rota was established in 1953, following the signing of an agreement for facilities use between the United States and Kingdom of Spain. The agreement required two years of surveys, negotiations and planning which led to ground breaking on the base in 1955.

Some 10,000 concrete tetrapods, resembling large jacks, were carefully placed to provide a seawall to protect a large artificial harbor.