Fort Leavenworth is the oldest active Army post west of the Mississippi River, and has devoted more than 170 years of service to the nation.
Established in 1827, Fort Leavenworth has one of the largest and oldest National Historic Landmark Districts in the Department of the Army.
In 1881, Gen. William T. Sherman established the School of Application for Cavalry and Infantry. That school evolved into the U.S. Army Command and General Staff College which is still at Fort Leavenworth.
More Base Details and Info
Life at Fort Leonard Wood (jokingly called Fort Lost in the Woods) moves slowly and lacks suburban perks -- the closest Target is more than an hour’s drive! -- but it is a very military-friendly area. In fact, it is hard to tell where the base ends and the adjacent town of St. Robert begins, as military members and retirees make up a significant portion of the population.