Fort D. A. Russell was established in 1867. In 1927, the last cavalry units left the installation.
In 1930, President Hoover issued a proclamation changing the name of the post to Fort Francis E. Warren, honoring Wyoming's territorial governor and first state governor. Warren was a U.S. Senator for 37 years and received the Medal of Honor when he was 19 for heroism during the Civil War.
The installation became an Air Force base in 1947.