The Navy offers active duty Sailors several programs to support their education goals including up to 100% Tuition Assistance for college courses taken during off-duty hours.
The Navy Tuition Assistance program pays 100% of tuition and required fees charged by educational institutions for course enrollments.
Navy TA Eligibility
TA is available to both Naval Officer and Enlisted active duty personnel and Naval Reservists on continuous active duty. It is also available to enlisted Naval Reservists ordered to active duty 120 days and to Naval Reservist Officers ordered to active duty for 2 years or more. To qualify, service members must:
- be on active duty for the whole length of the course.
- attend an institution accredited by a regional, national, or professional accrediting agency recognized by the Department of Education.
- receive counseling from a Navy College Office
- (Optional) .. determine if a CLEP/DSST exam could take the place of the course to be funded (either ask your school or your Navy College Office). If a CLEP/DSST exam credit could apply, consult with your Navy College Office for instructions on taking the practice test and scheduling an appointment for the test.
- provide all grades from previously funded TA courses and reimburse all W and F grades. (Withdrawals for involuntary reasons may be granted with command verification.)
- Agree, if an officer, to remain on active duty for at least two years upon completion of courses funded by TA. This obligation runs concurrently with remaining obligated service time. Those who fail to serve the obligation must repay the TA funds expended on their behalf during the last two years of active duty on a pro rated basis.
The maximum amount paid for tuition assistance: 100% Tuition and Fees
Not to exceed:
- $250 @ Semester Credit Hour, or
- $166 @ Quarter Credit Hour, and
- 16 Semester Hours (24 Quarter Hours or 240 Clock Hours)@ Fiscal Year
- Contact your Navy College Office to receive educational counseling in person, by phone or email. With your Navy College advisor, determine which courses will be requested for TA funding.
Complete a TA Application form NETPDTC 1560/3 listing course(s) and fee(s). Check with your institution to make sure the amounts for tuition and fees you list are correct. Allowable fees that can be funded under Tuition Assistance are:
- Fees directly required for course enrollment may be combined with tuition. Navy will pay fees that are published, mandatory, and charged for course enrollment.
- Mandatory non-reimbursable fees meeting the criteria listed above may be funded with TA. However, if the course is canceled allowing the tuition to be refunded, the student is responsible for paying the non-reimbursable fee.
- Sailors requesting payment of fees with tuition are responsible for providing accurate fee information to their Navy College Office when applying for TA.
- Carefully read the second page of the TA Application, the Tuition Assistance Application Agreement, and complete the requested information at the bottom of the page. Your signature on this form indicates you understand the current rules relating to Tuition Assistance funding. Receive command approval signature to enroll in the course(s).
- Your TA Application MUST be returned to your Navy College Office for processing.
For further program details and Navy Tuition Assistance program updates, visit the Navy College website Tuition Assistance page.
Read the OPNAV 1560.9A for further details on the Navy's VOLED programs.
Visit the Official Navy Tuition Assistance website to learn about requesting credit limit waivers and other TA details.