Marine Corps Tuition Assistance (TA) offers financial assistance to service members who elect to pursue Off-Duty or Voluntary Education.
Marine Corps Tuition Assistance Eligibility and Payment Rates
Marine Tuition Assistance (TA) is available for all active duty Marines. Tuition assistance is also available to Reservists on continuous active duty, enlisted Reservists ordered to active duty 120 days, and to Reservist Officers ordered to active duty for two years or more.
The Marine Corps will pay 100% Tuition and Fees not to exceed:
- $250 @ Semester Credit Hour, or
- $166 @ Quarter Credit Hour, and
- $4500 @ Fiscal Year
- First-time students must complete the online HEP course via Joint Knowledge Online (JKO) at https://nemesis.jten.mil/. The course number is HEP-US001. The course must be completed PRIOR to using TA.
- Minimum time in service of 24 months per active duty base date
- Must have a minimum GT score of 100 or a minimum TABE score of 10.2
- Must complete Marine Corps Institute (MCI) Personal Financial Management (Course ID 3420G).
Marine Corps Tuition Assistance Details
- TA cannot be used if applicant has had or is pending disciplinary action.
- TA cannot be used to pay for flight training.
- TA cannot be used by reservists if not on continuous active duty, by enlisted reservists if ordered to active duty less than 120 days, or by reservist officers if ordered to active duty for less than two years or more.
- TA cannot be used by those in duty-under-instruction status or in an officer accession program involving full time instruction at a civilian institution.
- TA will only be approved for courses scheduled for one academic term at a time.
- TA will not be authorized for the same course previously funded by TA.
- Up-front TA funding is not provided for courses if the institutions drop/add period or late registration date has passed.
- Reimbursement of TA funds must be made by money order or cashier's check payable to U.S. Treasurer and mailed to NETPDTC.
- TA cannot be approved retroactively. TA applications must be submitted and command approved prior to the requested course start date.
- Marines must earn a grade of D or higher or P for passing all non-graduate level coursework, and C or higher for graduate level courses.
- Marines are required to refund the U.S. Treasury for (F) failed courses, unresolved incompletes (I), or courses from which the Marine voluntarily withdrew, resulting in a W grade. Contact your local education center for repayment instructions.
- Fees no longer covered by TA include: equipment, supplies, exams, and costs associated with distance learning
- TA will be authorized for graduate studies through the master's degree level; doctoral programs will not be funded
- Only schools with an approved DOD Voluntary Education Partnership MOU are eligible to participate in DOD Voluntary Education programs including military tuition assistance.
Fees directly required for course enrollment may be combined with tuition. The Marine Corps will only pay fees that are published, mandatory, charged for course enrollment, and reimbursable in the event the student needs to withdraw from the course. The rules and regulations regarding TA can be found in MCO 1560.25.