GI Bill Archive

Showing 1 - 5 of 82 articles

An Overview of the GI Bill

A stack of school textbooks next to pens, pencils, and an apple.

The term GI Bill refers to any Department of Veterans Affairs education benefit earned by members of Active Duty, Selected Reserve and National Guard Armed Forces and their families. The benefit is designed to help servicemembers and eligible veterans cover the costs associated with getting an education or training. The GI Bill has several programs and each is administrated differently -- depending on a person's eligibility and duty status. G... more

Head-to-Head Comparison of the Old and New GI Bills

Red question mark

Use this chart to quickly understand the differences between the various GI Bill programs.   Post-9/11 GI Bill MGIB-AD MGIB-SR REAP Minimum Length of Service 90 days active aggregate service (after 9/10/01) or 30 days continuous if discharged for disability ... more

Solving the GI Bill Mystery

A recent graduate holds a degree and smiles.

Here's What You Get With the GI Bill You get 36 months of full-time GI Bill benefits and have 15 years from your last discharge to use them (if using the Post-9/11 GI Bill). If you are using the Montgomery GI Bill you have 10 years to use your benefits. What is a "month of benefits?" It is complicated, but here is the general idea: if you attend school at the full time rate for an entire month you use a month of benefits. But, say you atten... more

The VetSuccess On Campus Program

Service member receiving counseling.

The VA is developing innovative ways to help Veterans make the transition to college life. The VetSuccess on Campus (VSOC) program aims to help Veterans, Servicemembers, and their qualified dependents succeed and thrive through a coordinated delivery of on-campus benefits assistance and counseling, leading to completion of their education and preparing them to enter the labor market in viable careers. The VSOC program provides a VA Vocational... more

Post-9/11 GI Bill Overview

Post 9/11 GI Bill banner.

<!-- .style1 {font-style: italic} --> The Post-9/11 GI Bill provides education benefits for servicemembers who have served on active duty for 90 or more days since Sept. 10, 2001. The Post-9/11 GI Bill can pay your full tuition & fees at school, provide you with a monthly housing allowance while you are going to school, and give you up to $1,000 a year to use for books and supplies. If you live in the middle of nowhere the Post-9/11 G... more

Get the

Education Insider


education money cap books 90x60

GI Bill Benefit

The GI Bill is arguably the greatest benefit of serving in the Armed Forces. The GI Bill includes several VA administered education programs including the Post-9/11 GI Bill, The Montgomery GI Bill, REAP, and VEAP. These programs provide a benefit that can enhance your life, career, and future income potential. This section of the Military Education Center is designed to help you determine which program(s) you may qualify for and which best fits your needs.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at
© 2015 Military Advantage