Sign up for the Benefits Newsletter

Related Benefits Articles

Most Popular Survivor Benefits Articles

  • Military Funeral Folding Flag
    Surviving Family Benefits
    Survivors get several forms of compensation including Dependent Indemnity Compensation, a Death Gratuity, and TRICARE benefits.
  • Question mark on chalkboard
    The Survivor Benefit Plan Explained
    The Survivor Benefit Plan pays your spouse a monthly payment, protecting survivors against the risks of early death.
  • (Photo: Stock image.)
    2017 Survivor's Pension Rates
    The VA Death Pension is a tax-free benefit for low-income, orphans and widows of deceased wartime Veterans.
  • Military funeral Familiy
    Survivor Benefit Plan FAQs
    SBP is a complicated program and their are numerous related questions. See our FAQ for help.
  • man in repose at arlington cemetery
    Death Gratuity
    Death gratuity is a one-time tax free payment for survivors to deal with financial hardships due to loss of a servicemember

Household Goods Storage & Shipment

Moving truck. (U.S. Air Force Photo by Jose Ramirez)
U.S. Air Force Photo by Jose Ramirez

In addition to a one year extension of housing and/or housing allowances, the military will pay for the movement of household goods and personal effects of the service member to the following locations:

  • The member's last permanent duty station.
  • The member's home of record.
  • The home of his or her dependent(s).
  • The home of the next of kin, or to other persons legally entitled to receive custody of the member's household goods.

Household goods will include all personal property associated with the member's home. It also includes all personal effects belonging to the member and his dependents which can be legally transported by an authorized commercial moving company. The items to be moved must be turned over to a transportation officer or carrier within one year of the member's death for shipment to the desired location.

Your Casualty Assistance Calls Officer will assist you in arranging for shipment and will contact the personal property officer at the nearest military installation to answer any questions you may have.

You may not generally include the following items in a move of household goods:

  • Personal baggage normally carried free on commercial travel.
  • Live animals.
  • Privately owned live ammunition.
  • Hazardous materials such as insecticides, solvents, and flammable or corrosive materials.
  • Perishable foods and plants.

You may temporarily store a shipment of household goods for up to one year . Any temporary storage beyond one year will be at your own expense and will only be done if you send a written request to the transportation officer handling your move which shows extenuating circumstances which are beyond your control as the reason for the extended storage. The CACO will be able to assist you in this matter.

Non-temporary storage in connection with a shipment of household goods may not exceed one year from the date of death. Storage under these conditions will be in an approved commercial or Government facility, whichever is nearest the point where the household goods are located on the date of the service member's death.

Military News App by

Download the new News App for Android on Google Play or for Apple devices on iTunes!

Featured VA Loan Articles