What are the benefits of having active, inactive or even lapsed security clearance?
Benefits of Having Active or Inactive Security Clearance
- Increased marketability with civilian employers that require cleared employees.
- Many DoD contractors give hiring preference to ex-military personnel with current clearances.
- Doubles your worth and ability to get jobs in certain sectors that non-cleared personnel could not get.
- Since employers do not have to pay for your clearance application, the money saved often goes back into the employee's salary.
- When leaving the military, you can re-activate your clearance for up to 24 months without having to start the process over again.
Benefits of Having Lapsed Clearance
- Employers are more willing to hire people with prior clearance for positions where you can apply without a clearance and the firm will sponsor you.
- Depending on how long it has been since you last had clearance, the investigation process can take much less time than that for people without ever having clearance.