Veterans in Maryland should pay attention: your state has launched a big initiative to support veteran hiring for the next 100 days. According to the official release, Operation Hire will work with “employers, federal, state, and county agencies to increase recruitment efforts.” Veterans in the area should pay close attention to the benefits of this initiative from now until September 9th. Employers who participate and hire the largest number of veterans will receive special recognition at the end of the challenge from state officials.
The first step to participation is registering via the online form. While there is no deadline to register, starting as soon as possible will only help your chances in winning. To support employers in this endeavor, Maryland has provided an employer tool kit to guide them in hiring veterans. Employers who wish to take part in the challenge do not necessarily need to be located in Maryland, but do need to hire a Maryland resident.
The full rules of the contest can be found here. If you are an employer:
- Employers with a federal tax identification number and who hire Maryland veterans are eligible to participate.
- Complete the online registration form. There is no deadline for registration.
- Visit the Employer Tool Kit.
- Register on the Maryland Workforce Exchange.
- Contact your local One Stop Career Center to share job announcements.
- Contact the MDVA at email@example.com to share job announcements.
- When contacted by the MDVA, share hiring data via the Veteran Hiring Tracking Form.
- Continue to refer back to the MDVA Veteran Employer Toolkit for ongoing support and resources.
If you are a veteran:
- Visit your local One Stop Career Center.
- Enroll in the Maryland Workforce Exchange.
- Visit the MDVA website to see who is participating in Operation Hire.
- Attend a local Job Fair.
- Visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs eBenefits website. Enroll in the new employment center. Search job postings and receive resume and interviewing tips.