BY TIM KIRKPATRICK — WEARETHEMIGHTY.COM
Since the military is considered a way of life, young service members who left home just a few months ago will embark on a journey that will have many ups and downs.
They’ll encounter all sorts of different personalities and create epic memories along the way.
When we’re out, we tend to reminisce about the times of old, and for the most part, we’d give anything to relive those moments again.
So check out these epic memories most vets would love to go through at least one more time.
1. Graduating boot campAfter going through weeks of intense training, you get to stand proudly in front of your family and friends at graduation as you officially earn your title of sailor, airman, soldier, Coast Guardsman or Marine.
2. That first epic barracks partyOne of the best parts about living in the barracks are the parties! For the most part, they’re a sausage fest depending on your duty station. You can learn a lot about yourself from how awesome you are to how much beer you can drink before throwing up.
3. The good times on deploymentWhen troops deploy overseas, all they have is the men next to them for support — and an occasion mail drop. Since we’re gone for the majority of the year, we have plenty of downtime to “smoke and joke” — which usually involves making good friends and epic memories.
You’ll never make better friends than the ones you make in combat.
4. Your first firefightNothing compares to the adrenaline rush of putting rounds down range at the bad guys. After the chaos ends, you typically critique the sh*t out of yourself and wish you handled things differently.
5. Getting that much-deserved promotionGetting promoted in front of your fellow brothers and sisters-in-arms for a job well done is an epic feeling. Hopefully, it’ won’t be your only time.
6. That moment you returned home from deploymentAfter being gone for the better part of the year, returning home to a positive atmosphere is the best. After this, it’s unlikely you’ll get that sort of patriotic greeting again — unless you re-deploy.
7. Walking out of the personnel office with your DD-214If military service wasn’t for you, getting that “honorable” discharge is like being reborn. Since nobody remembers being born the first time — this moment is super special.
What were your favorite memories? Comment below.
MORE POSTS FROM WE ARE THE MIGHTY:
We Are The Mighty (WATM) celebrates service with stories that inspire. WATM is made in Hollywood by veterans. It's military life presented like never before. Check it out at We Are the Mighty.