BY TIM KIRKPATRICK — WEARETHEMIGHTY.COM
It’s no secret in the military that everyone guns to rip on each other for one reason or another. Rank plays a huge part on how and when you can talk smack and get away with. Sergeants verbally disciplining their juniors in the wide open commonly happens on military bases regardless of who’s watching.Outside of boot camp, getting ripped on happens with fellow service members you don’t even know — and lower enlisted personnel are prime targets.So now let’s turn the tables for a change. Getting a chance to rip on an officer and get away with it is an extremely rare. So take notes and keep an eye out for one of these juicy opportunities for a little payback.
1. During PTThe military is highly competitive, so when you manage to beat your commanding officer in a push-up contest — it’s time to gloat.
“Can you do this, sir?” (image via Giphy)
2. Shooting RangeBeing an excellent shot is one thing, having a tighter grouping than your commanding officer — priceless.
Have a victory dance well-rehearsed. (Images via Giphy)
3. At MedicalIn the field, Army medics and Navy Corpsmen have the power to call the shots when it comes to taking care of their patients. Regardless of the rank the "Doc" has on their sleeve or collar, it’s their time to shine and order how things go down (but you need to earn that power).
(images via Giphy)
4. Infantry TacticsMost infantry line officers are just starting out and are going to make mistakes — and that’s when the experienced enlisted troops can step forward and publicly correct an officer on how the mission should go.
Be slightly more professional when you address them, though. (images via Giphy)
5. CryptoMany officers like to believe they know everything about everything — they don’t.
Crypto rollover is when the codes on your communication system are adjusted so the bad guys can’t hack them. Although it’s easy for the E-4 and below comm guys to handle the task, many officers don’t know the first thing about it even though some try very hard.
It’s okay sir, maybe you’ll get it next time. (images via Giphy)
6. Buying dumb sh*t after deploymentAfter months and months of saving up their money, officers — like enlisted — spend their earnings on things that don’t make sense either. They’re only human.
When you blow your money on something you don’t need, stand by for some sh*t talking.
Until the money runs low. (images via Giphy)
MORE POSTS FROM WE ARE THE MIGHTY:
We Are The Mighty (WATM) celebrates service with stories that inspire. WATM is made in Hollywood by veterans. It's military life presented like never before. Check it out at We Are the Mighty.