May 16th marks the 30th anniversary of Top Gun's theatrical release. Many of our readers would insist that we've been waiting 30 years for Hollywood to make a military movie that's anywhere as close to as good as the tale of Maverick vs. Iceman. It's the movie that never gets old.
Paramount Pictures is celebrating this anniversary with a new limited edition Steelbook edition of the movie. You get a Blu-ray, a DVD and a Digital HD copy for about $13 online so this is a perfect Father's Day gift tor the Dad who hasn't bothered to get his own copy.
Check out Military.com Editor emeritus Ward Carroll's 2013 podcast interview with Kelly McGills here.
Here's a clip from the bonus features. Tom Cruise talks about getting cast in the movie.
And Iceman thinks Maverick is dangerous:
Maverick breaks the rules of engagement:
Set aside a few minutes to join Kenny Loggins once again on a ride to the Danger Zone:
Here's a complete list of the special features:
- Commentary by producer Jerry Bruckheimer, director Tony Scott, co-screenwriter Jack Epps, Jr. and naval experts
- Danger Zone: The Making of Top Gun
- Multi-Angle Storyboards with optional commentary by Tony Scott
- Best of the Best: Inside the Real Top Gun
- Music Videos:
- Kenny Loggins—"Danger Zone"
- Berlin—"Take My Breath Away"
- Loverboy—"Heaven In Your Eyes"
- Harold Faltermeyer and Steve Stevens—"Top Gun Anthem"
- TV Spots
- Behind-the-Scenes Featurette
- Survival Training Featurette
- Tom Cruise Interviews