Paycheck Chronicles

Obtaining 1099R Tax Statements


It is the time of year when I get a lot of emails asking me to send tax statements. While I'd love to help people out, I don't have the ability to do that (plus, I think it would become a full-time job.)

Retirees seeking their 1099R have three options: retrieve it online from their MyPay account, use the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) website "replacement tax statement" service, or call DFAS (not an option I would recommend.)

Using MyPay

If you don't currently have a MyPay online account access account, I strongly encourage you to set one up.  In addition to tax statements, you can access your monthly Retiree Account Statements (RAS), change direct deposit information, update income tax withholding instructions, manage allotments, and perform other actions related to your military retirement pay.  It may take a little bit of time to set up the account initially, but it is worth the effort.

Once you are logged into your MyPay account, the main menu has an option for tax statements.

Using The DFAS "Replacement 1099R Option"

One of the downsides to the MyPay system is that the password requirements are tough, and people get locked out often.  (I lock myself out at least once every few months - so annoying.)  Thankfully, there is a way to get a new 1099R that doesn't require logging into MyPay.

At the DFAS website (, the link to request a replacement W-2 or 1099R right on the front of their webpage. If you can't, for some reason, find it, here's a direct link: Once you're there, select whether you need a replacement W-2, a replacement 1099R, or a replacement 1099R for former spouses. You'll then be taken to the form to request a replacement.

Surprisingly the request form allows you to have your tax documents sent to whatever address you choose, regardless of whether it is your DFAS address on file. Lots of people have old addresses on file with DFAS, and while they need to be updated, it can be time-consuming and no one needs that extra hassle when they are trying to do their taxes.   The system verifies identity by asking specific military-related questions.

*Note: if your address is out-of-date, please take the time to start the change process while you're already at the DFAS website.

By Telephone

This isn't a great option, but you may request a replacement 1099R by telephone by calling the DFAS Retiree and Annuitants customer service telephone line at 1-800-321-1080. This number is staffed Monday through Friday, 7 am to 6 pm Eastern Time.  My readers tell me that wait times are long, so be sure to get a beverage and something to entertain you while you wait.

If you didn't get your 1099R, try to figure out why and clear it up so that next tax year is easier.  Making sure that your address is up-to-date in the DFAS records is the most important way, followed by creating a MyPay account.  These two steps will ensure that you are never miss any important information or documents from DFAS.


Show Full Article

Related Topics

PayCheck Chronicles