Paycheck Chronicles

Retrieving Old Tax Statements


Sometimes, you need to get a copy of an old W-2 or 1099R tax statement.  The best way to get these documents depends on the age of the document you need.

For tax statements within the last five years, your fastest option is to use the myPay online account access system and print the documents yourself.  Select the tax document from the main menu, and utilize the drop-down box in the upper right hand corner to find the correct year.  (Note:  I don't have access to a retiree myPay account, but I am pretty sure it looks very similar to the active duty account.)

If you don't have a myPay account, I encourage you to sign up.  The process will take a little bit of time, especially if you are a retiree who needs their password mailed, or if your email or physical mailing address is out of date in Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) records.  It is worth the effort, because myPay gives you constant access to Leave and Earnings Statements, Retiree Account Statements, and tax documents, plus it allows you to make changes such as changing your direct deposit account information, changing mail and email addresses, adjusting your tax withholding, directing Thrift Savings Plan contributions, and changing allotments.

If you need older tax documents, or don't want to sign up for a myPay account, then you will have to request your old tax statements from DFAS.  To get help by telephone, call:

  • Army, Navy, Air Force (reserve, active & National Guard) W2: 888-332-7411.
  •  Marine Corps (active & reserve) W2: Contact your finance office.
  •  Marine Corps (separated members) W2: 888-332-7411 (Select Option #2)
  •  Thrift Savings Plan 1099R: 887-968-3778
  •  DoD Savings Deposit Program 1099INT: 888-332-7411
  •  Voluntary Separation Incentive/Special Separation Benefit W2: 800-321-1080.
To make a request by mail, print and fill out DFAS Form 9190, or write a signed, dated letter with the retiree or annuitants name, Social Security Number.

Retirees send their requests to: Defense Finance and Accounting Service U.S. Military Retired Pay P.O. Box 7130 London, KY 40742-7130

Annuitants send their requests to:

Defense Finance and Accounting Service U.S. Military Annuitant Pay P.O. Box 7131 London, KY 40742-7131

You may also send the same form or letter by fax to 800-469-6559.  Allow 30-60 days if using the mail or fax methods.

I'll say it again - if you don't have a myPay account, I strongly encourage you to take the time to open one now.  It will give you control over your pay and tax records, and it will save you a LOT of time.

Show Full Article

Related Topics

PayCheck Chronicles

Most Recent Military Pay Articles

View more