Paycheck Chronicles

Get A Replacement W-2 or 1099R


If it's February, the most popular question here must be:  how do I get a replacement W-2 or 1099R?  The quickest way to access your military pay records and documents is always via the myPay system, but it can take time to set up an account if you don't have one, and it is easy to lock yourself out.  (I know, I do it all the time.)

In response to these issues, the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) has put together a simple way to request that replacement documents be sent to you, at whatever address you designate.  The link to request a replacement W-2 or 1099R right on the front of their webpage.  If you can't, for some reason, find it, here's a direct link:  Once you're there, select whether you need a replacement W-2, a replacement 1099R, or a replacement 1099R for former spouses.  You'll then be taken to the form to request a replacement.

I am surprised, and (I think) thrilled that the request form allows you to designate an address to send your tax documents without changing your DFAS address on file.  Lots of people have old addresses on file with DFAS, and while they need to be updated, it can be time-consuming and no one needs that extra hassle when they are trying to do their taxes.  *Note:  if your address is out-of-date, please take the time to start the change process while you're already at the DFAS website.

Requestor identity is verified by asking for specific military-related details; the questions are a little different depending on the type of statement requested.

I hope that this will help everyone who hasn't received their tax documents, or has locked themselves out of myPay, or lost their paperwork.

Show Full Article

Related Topics

PayCheck Chronicles

Most Recent Military Pay Articles

View more