Paycheck Chronicles

How To Change Direct Deposit Of Military Payments


I literally just got almost the exact same email two times in a row, so obviously my previous posts aren't answering people's questions. The internet makes it quick and easy to update direct deposit information for military and veterans pay and benefits.  However, it isn't instantaneous.  You must update your information well before the payment date, and it is recommended that you keep the old account open until you receive your first deposit into the new account.

There are two different websites for the two different types of military-related payments.

Department of Veterans Affairs

Payments made by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) include disability compensation, Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC), GI Bill benefits, veterans pensions, and survivors pensions.

If you receive benefits from the VA, you can change your bank information via the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) eBenefits online program.  If you are unable to navigate the system, or prefer to deal with a person, you may contact the VA by telephone at 1-800-827-1000, Monday to Friday, 8am to 9pm Eastern Time.  However, be prepared for a very long wait to get through to a representative.

Defense Finance and Accounting Service

Payments made by Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) include military pay, military retirement pay, and Survivor Benefit Plan annuity payments.

You can change your direct deposit bank account information online via the MyPay website, or you can call the DFAS customer service department at 1-888-332-7411.  Again, the telephone is not a quick way of getting help.

Instructions for changing accounts for direct deposit of active duty, reserve,  or retired military pay, or Survivor Benefit Plan annuity payments can be found in Changing Direct Deposit of Military Pay.

Not sure who administers your benefits?  In general active duty pay, retiree pay, and survivor benefit plan annuity payments are made by DFAS.  Veterans disability, GI Bill, and Dependency and Indemnity Compensation paid to survivors of certain veterans are paid by the VA.

Changing your direct deposit shouldn't be hard, but be sure to get all the details right and keep the old bank account open until your first payment is successfully deposited into your new account.

Show Full Article

Related Topics

PayCheck Chronicles