Paycheck Chronicles

Tax Statements For Separated Troops


I get a lot of questions from people who left the service and don't know how to access their W-2 tax statements.  Thankfully, it is not too hard.  It may require patience, though, so grab a cup of coffee or a glass of water before you get started.

Tax Statements via MyPay

First, separated service members retain access to MyPay for 12 months.  It is best to keep your contact details accurate in MyPay.  You can also retrieve your W-2 this way.  If you have had a MyPay account, and you've locked yourself out, it might be worth the effort to reactivate your account.  This can be done online if you set up online security questions, or the MyPay system can mail you a temporary password if your contact information is accurate in the system.  If you're not sure, it might be best to call on the telephone.  It's not the fastest process, but it works.

However, if you can not get into MyPay or you really just need your tax statement, there are other ways to obtain your tax statement.

Tax Statements by Telephone

Army, Navy, Air Force (reserve, active & National Guard) can call  888-332-7411 for assistance obtaining or correcting a W-2

Marine Corps separated members requiring a  W2 should call 888-332-7411. (Select Option #2)

For a 1099R for Thrift Savings Plan distributions, call 887-968-3778.

Looking for a 1099INT for your Savings Deposit Program account?  Call 888-332-7411.

If you received a Voluntary Separation Incentive or a Special Separation Benefit, you need to report the information on that special W2.  It can be obtained by calling 800-321-1080.

I'm pretty sure that covers all the different W2s and 1099s that could be needed by separated service members.  However, if you need something not listed here, call 888-332-7411.  Those are the people to help you find the items that you need.

Hope that helps!

Tax Statements

Show Full Article

Related Topics

PayCheck Chronicles

Most Recent Military Pay Articles

View more
This block is broken or missing. You may be missing content or you might need to enable the original module.