Paycheck Chronicles

From The Mailbag: Accessing Old W-2s

Sometimes we all need to access old documents, whether it be medical stuff or tax information or receipts.  I'm a horrible thrower-outer, so chances are I don't have whatever I need in my filing cabinet.  Fortunately, many old documents can be accessed via MyPay.  That's where I sent the author of today's question:

I need a copy of my 1099R for the year 2009. I have tried both telephone & my computer to get this information. I have my doctor's letter certifying my illness during the deadline of my tax extension, however the IRS is pressing me &; probably charging me, even though I paid them the estimated . The only document I need now to complete my return is this from DFAS.

Thank you very much.

Col. H

W-2s are one of those items that can suddenly be needed in the future.  MyPay to the rescue!
Dear Col. H,

I'm afraid I can't access those documents for you.  I suggest that you continue to try to work with DFAS in order to get a copy of your 1099R.  Do you have a MyPay account via the DFAS website?  On my husband's MyPay account, when you select the W-2 link, there is a drop down box in the upper right hand corner that allows you to select previous year's W-2s.  If you are not able to access MyPay, and do not want to set up an account, you should be able to request those documents by telephone.

I hope this helps, and good luck to you.


Keep sending those letters, folks, and I'll keep trying to answer them! Show Full Article

Related Topics

PayCheck Chronicles

Most Recent Military Pay Articles

View more
This block is broken or missing. You may be missing content or you might need to enable the original module.