Paycheck Chronicles

Still Need Your Tax Statement?


I've been getting lots of emails and comments from people who still have not received their W-2 or 1099R tax statement.  For most cases, the information regarding accessing or requesting a replacement W-2 or 1099R is available at the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) website.

Active Duty and Reserve

If you are an active duty service member, you should have access to your MyPay account.  Your W-2 (and supplemental W-2s and 1099-INT, if appropriate) are available via your MyPay account.  If you don't have a MyPay account, I encourage you to sign up for one.  It provides 24 hours internet access to your pay, leave, tax, Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) and Savings Deposit Program (SDP) information.

If you have a MyPay account but can't access it, you can either try to log-on using your CAC card, you can try the online reset option, or you can ask your local finance office for help.

If you are setting up a new account or trying to access an old one, you can contact the DFAS Centralized Customer Support Unit for assistance in establishing or changing your PIN.  Their telephone numbers are

  • toll-free  888-DFAS411 or 888-332-7411, or 
  • commercial  (216) 522-5096, or 
  • Defense Switching Network (DSN)  580-5096.
If none of this is working for you, you can contact your service's or situation's department for more help in receiving a W-2.  Keep in mind that wait times can be long during tax season.
  •  Army, Navy, Air Force (reserve, active & National Guard) W2: 888-332-7411.
  •  Marine Corps (active & reserve) W2: Contact your finance office.
  •  Marine Corps (separated members) W2: 216-522-8762 (Select Option #4)
  •  Thrift Savings Plan 1099R: 887-968-3778
  •  DoD Savings Deposit Program 1099INT: 888-332-7411
  •  Voluntary Separation Incentive/Special Separation Benefit W2: 800-321-1080.


Retirees may also use the MyPay system to access their pay and tax information. When a MyPay account is created, mailing of hard copy 1099Rs is suspended unless you check the block that says "turn on hard copy 1099R."

If you don't have a MyPay account, it is a great tool to help you keep track of your pay and tax information.  Contact the DFAS Centralized Customer Support Unit at the numbers listed above to establish a PIN.  You will have 24 hour internet access to all your information, as well as being able to print out pay and tax statements and make certain changes to your account online.

Retirees who do not have a MyPay account, or who have selected to receive a hard copy W-2, should receive their tax documents sometime in January.  If you do not receive it, you might want to make sure that your mailing address is up-to-date with DFAS.

Retirees may always request assistance from the Customer Care number at 800-321-1080.  Customer Service Representatives are available Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Eastern Time.

Recently Separated Service Member

Recently separated service members should be able to access their MyPay account as usual for up to a year after separating from the service.  If you did not have a MyPay account, you may try to establish one by calling the DFAS Centralized Customer Support Unit at the numbers listed above.  It that doesn't work, or you do not want to establish a MyPay account, you may contact your service's pay and tax people listed above.

I'm sure there are more issues that I haven't hit here.  Please put them in the comments and I'll try to find answers.

Show Full Article

Related Topics

PayCheck Chronicles

Most Recent Military Pay Articles

View more