Paycheck Chronicles

GI Bill Transfer Details Announced


The transfer portion of the new GI Bill has been very exciting for many people, and lots of questions have now been answered.  The Department of Defense has released the final details of the new policy to allow the GI Bill benefits to be transferred to a spouse or eligible child.

Military service members are eligible to transfer their Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to a spouse or child if:

  • They have at least six years of active service (including active duty and selective reserve) and agree to serve an additional four years, or
  • Have at least ten years of active service, are unable (by policy or statute) to commit to an additional four years, and agree to serve for the maximum allowable service by said policy or statute.
  • For service members eligible to retire between August 1, 2009 and August 1, 2012, there is a phased-in requirement for continued service, up to three years.

The full Pentagon policy is located here.  This is an amazing benefit for military members so be sure to learn all the details and figure out the best way for it to benefit your family.  Whoohoo!

Show Full Article

Related Topics

PayCheck Chronicles

Most Recent Military Pay Articles

View more