Content provided courtesy of USAA.
Auto safety doesn't stop as soon as you park the car. It's also important to protect yourself, your vehicle and your personal belongings anytime you leave your vehicle. Keep these tips from the National Safety Commission in mind the next time you park in a public place — or even your driveway:
- Park in a well-lit, well-traveled pedestrian area. Avoid remote areas of the parking lot.
- Roll up the windows and lock the doors.
- Hide your valuables in the glove compartment or under the seat. A purse, smartphone or portable GPS left in plain view is an invitation to criminals.
- Be aware of your surroundings when you're walking to and from your car to ensure you're not being followed.
- Have your keys in hand in case you need to make a quick getaway.