Military Advantage

Same-Sex Spouses Get ID cards Sept. 3

Reposted news from Air Force Public Affairs: Same-sex spouses of Air Force military members, eligible civilian employees, and military retirees may be enrolled in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System by their sponsors and get their dependent identification card beginning Sept. 3, Air Force Personnel Center officials said today. Following a June 26 Supreme Court decision finding Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act unconstitutional, Defense Department officials announced the plan to extend benefits to same-sex spouses. “We’ve had a lot of interest from Airmen on this topic,” said Karen Bennett, DEERS/RAPIDS Operations branch chief. “While many military personnel sections take walk-in customers, Airmen who walk in without an appointment may experience longer wait times, so we want to encourage folks to use the online appointment scheduler to make an appointment for DEERS enrollment and ID cards.” To make an appointment, contact the nearest military personnel section or go online to For information about benefits available to spouses, visit the myPers website at and enter “ID Cards,” or “DEERS” in the search window. by Debbie Gildea Air Force Personnel Center Public Affairs  

Show Full Article

Related Topics

Military Advantage

Most Popular Military Pay Articles

2019 Military Pay Charts
Check out the 2019 US military pay scale charts for all ranks for active duty, as well as Reserve and Guard components.
Military Retired Pay Overview
The military retirement system is arguably the best one around, but proper planning is needed to ensure you can retire comfor...