My good friend over at the Paycheck Chronicles recently posted an article on transferring GI Bill benefits. Kate points out five things you really need to know about the program. I have summarized them here:
1. "All transfers of benefits must be done before you begin your terminal leave."
2. "You must have at least six years of eligible service, and agree to serve an additional four years, unless precluded by policy or statute."
3. "Transfers of eligibility are done via the MilConnect website."
4. "Select an amount of benefit to transfer to each person, from a minimum of one month per person up to a total of 36 months of benefits."
5. You MUST return to the TEB website at a later time to ensure that your transfer was accepted.
Kate also gives some great advice, explanations, and resources for getting through the process. I won’t steal her thunder, so visit the Paycheck Chronicles to learn more.