Military Advantage

Easier Sign-Up for TRICARE Retired Reserve



Gray-area retirees from the National Guard and Reserves who want to purchase TRICARE health care coverage now have a new way to get a DoD Self-service Logon. Most will need a DS Logon to qualify for and purchase TRICARE Retired Reserve (TRR) health coverage. 

Since Sept. 1, 2010, members of the Retired Reserve who aren’t 60, the so-called “gray area” retirees, have been able to purchase TRR to provide health coverage for themselves and their eligible family members. To make purchasing TRR easier, gray area retirees can now get a DS Logon by contacting the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System/Defense Manpower Data Center Support Office (DSO) and remotely verify their identity.

Gray area retirees can use the DS Logon to access the Web-based Reserve Component Purchased TRICARE Application (RCPTA) to qualify for and purchase TRR. If a gray area retiree doesn’t have a DS Logon, but has a retired military ID card, he or she can call the DSO at 1-800-538-9552 (1-866-363-2883 for the hearing impaired) to request remote proofing documentation. DSO will provide step-by-step instructions and the appropriate documentation to get a DS Logon via remote proofing.

The DSO’s hours of operation are Monday-Friday, 5 a.m. until 5 p.m. Pacific time. The DSO is closed on all federal holidays.

To use the remote proofing process, the gray area retiree will identify his or herself with a Social Security number to the DSO. The DSO will then fax, e-mail or send by regular mail, a document the retiree can take with their ID card to a notary public to remotely verify his or her identity. The retiree will return this document to the DSO and, if the notarized photocopy of the ID card matches the ID card on file in DEERS, a DS Logon can be issued. 

Gray area retirees who don’t have a retired ID card and a DS Logon can get both, and complete the in-person proofing process at a RAPIDS ID card issuing site. To locate the nearest RAPIDS site, go to Alternatively, they may still go to designated Veterans Administration (VA) regional offices to complete in-person-proofing and get a DS Logon. To locate a VA regional office, visit

Retired Reservists may qualify to purchase TRR coverage if they are under the age of 60 and are not eligible for, or enrolled in, the Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) program. They must be members of the retired Reserve and qualified for non-regular retirement. For instructions on how to qualify for and purchase TRR go to

Show Full Article

Related Topics

Military Advantage

Military Pay News & Advice

View more