The news about the extraordinary heroism of our recent Medal of Honor recipient brings up an interesting question – what benefits and privileges do Medal of Honor recipients get?
Medal of Honor recipients receive the following privileges and special benefits:
- A Special Medal of Honor pension of $1,329.58 per month above and beyond any military pensions or other benefits for which they may be eligible.
- Special entitlements to Space “A” air transportation.
- Enlisted recipients are entitled to a supplemental uniform allowance.
- Commissary and exchange privileges (includes eligible dependents).
- Admission to the United States military academies for qualified children of recipients – without nomination and quota requirements.
- 10 percent increase in retired pay.
- Medal of Honor Flag.
- Allowed to wear the uniform at anytime as long as the standard restrictions are observed.
- Many states offer Medal of Honor automobile license plates.
- Interment at Arlington National Cemetery if not otherwise eligible.